An immaculately restored and appointed pair of 160-year-old houses in the pastoral enclave of Montagu, Jonkmanshof 30 Bath and 20 Bath Street (three doors away) are the handiwork of chef, interior designer and creative tour de force Jacques Erasmus and his partner Hein Liebenberg. A true labour of love that took years to complete, both houses were renovated with a sensitivity and respect for their architectural heritage that gives them gravitas as well as offering a travel experience to another era.
Carefully and eclectically combined antiques and art are layered in such a way that they feel accumulated over time – curated rather than decorated. But while Jacques is a talented interior designer, his approach is so much more holistic than just touching on the visual appeal of a space. And it’s his signature attention to sensory detail that’s the real x-factor here, which comes through in every element of a stay. From crisp, exquisite linen and mohair blankets, to beautifully crafted meals with only the freshest produce (some of it from the garden), fireplaces (there are no TVs) and fresh flowers in the hallway, the focus here is on creating an immersive experience removed from the trappings of the ‘modern’ world. Instead the focus is on daily rituals and the personal touches that make a space feel like home.
Jacques is masterful at this and the elegant, restful bathrooms encapsulate just how much magic there is to be found in slowing down. A bouquet of fragrant herbs tied to the taps in the freestanding tub, sculpture and antiques all elevate the ordinary to an art and encourage you to soak in your surroundings. Fresh flowers are always seasonal, picked that day on their garden plot in the village and if you linger long enough you’ll discover a floral Dutch master alongside an ancient flower press (some of Jacques’s best known floral artworks are found in far-flung corners of the world like the Amazonian water lily pads at Kubili House).
Jacques and Hein have taken it a step further still, with homeware and items you can buy at their beautiful neighbouring store De Nagmaal and take home – from preserves using fruit from their own garden, home-made liqueurs and citrus scented candles to ceramics, all celebrating the beauty to be found in time-honoured tradition. And you might even discover their quirkiest artwork: a painting made entirely of perfectly toasted bread!
Read more about the vision behind both Jonkmanshof houses in our Q&A with interior designer and chef Jacques Erasmus in our Journal.
2 king bedrooms (can be twins)
All with closet space
All with spacious en-suite bathrooms
• Fully equipped kitchen
• 8-seater dining
• Underfloor heating (bathrooms)
• Ceiling fans
• Espresso machine
• Sound system
• Security system
• Alfresco dining
• Plunge pool
• Garden with mountain views
• Sun loungers
• Nagmaal shop (adjacent)
• Housekeeping (daily)
• Unlimited Wi-Fi
Advance notice required for:
• Activities and excursions
• Babysitting and au pair
• Butler and/or chef
• Dry cleaning
• Personal security
• Personal shopping
• Personal trainer
• Spa and beauty treatments
• Step inside the voorkamer at Jonkmanshof and you’ll never want to leave!
• Nagmaal, the décor shop belonging to the owners, is at 30 Bath: stock upon some beautiful ceramics, citrus soaps and handmade linen dish towels, for starters.
• Speak to us about booking a very special private dinner with eitherJacques Erasmus (owner and restaurateur) or their private chef.
• On Saturdays, the village market is just down the road, and some of the best pastries in the Cape can be found in the villages – take a wander.
• That said, the village of Montagu is set on the longest wine route in the world and there are superb wineries in the area. Just ask: we’ll give you a list of our favourites. Barrydale (don’t miss the microbrewery) and Calitzdorp(known for its port) and Swellendam are all characterful villages worth doing day trips to.
• Take a slower classic car country drive with us...
• And, of course, there are a number of walks, hikes and mountain biking routes for the more active guests.
• Check in 14h00
• Check out 10h00
• Maximum 4 guests in each house
• No pets allowed
• Security deposit
• Private dinners on request
• All bookings subject to final approval by owner