Rising up out of the pristine dunes along the Bushman’s River in Kenton-on-Sea is a striking beach-facing home designed by architect Wynand Wilsenach. With views that stretch forever down the rolling dunes of this magnificent unspoilt coastline of the Eastern Cape, it’s no surprise that its owners love spending time here.
From word go, a collection of South African art was the catalyst for the colours, textiles and wallpaper chosen for each of the rooms, a project that interior designer Tiggs Crozet enjoyed working on for years. Her palette was calming and layered, often reflecting the softest hues of the ever-changing tidal river frontage and the beach beyond. Carefully chosen geometric-patterned cushions by Mark Alexander juxtapose with gorgeous linens and umbrellas from Evolution Product with sea anenome, kelp and fern designs – each one an artwork in itself.
On the dining chairs, hand-embroidered water lilies have special meaning for the owners, as do the lilies forged into the entrance gate. A notable ceramic collection, put together over time with the help of Kim Sacks includes Tiggs’s favourites from Katherine Glenday, Farrah Hernandez, John Shirley, JP Wessels, Shelley Maisel, Elke Martins, Clementina van der Walt. Lisa Fihrer’s delicate vessels feature on the coffee table amid covetable books. Shaker style cupboards were especially commissioned to house the collection and they create a focus in on either side of the late artist Benon Lutaaya’s work, one of the owner’s favourites. It was bought to hang above the fireplace.
Deborah Bell’s ‘She Wolf’ beautifully positioned to enjoy in the living area and a new Mary Sibande now hangs in the breakfast area – the blues perfectly picked up in the cushions. There’s a lovely Maude Sumna in the downstairs bedroom and the upstairs suites feature several of Nelson Makamo’s work (also loved by Oprah). Wallpapers by Ardmore and Eijffinger were chosen especially for bedrooms but a dramatic deep blue and gold Sandberg in the downstairs bathroom is an artwork in itself! Throughout, And, Pierre Cronje’s solid wood tables and upstairs console are loved for their timeless craftsmanship.
Cleverly designed for all seasons, the house has a wonderfully protected back garden with a pool – lantern-lit dinners at night are balmy here – and salty sea breezes flow through the front of the house for coolth in midsummer. Upstairs, the views are staggeringly beautiful, so much so that you’d be tempted not to leave your lounger and simply gaze at the waves crashing rhythmically along the shorelines.
4 King bedrooms en suite (sleep 8 adults)
2 double bunk bedrooms with adjacent bathroom with double shower (each sleeps 4, with two children in each bunk bedroom)
(Ideally sleeps 8 adults or up to 12 (4 additional children), but can sleep 16 if children don't mind sharing bunk bedrooms)
• Fully equipped kitchen
• Open plan kitchen/dining/living area
• 14-seater dining table
• 8-seater dining outdoors
• Indoor fireplace
• Outdoor shower
• Alfresco dining
• Deck with ocean views
• Access via steps
• Parking and garage
• Excellent security
• Housekeeping (daily during the week, additional on request)
• Unlimited Wi-Fi
AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
Advance notice required
• Activities and excursions
• Babysitting and au pair
• Dry cleaning
• Personal shopping
• Personal trainer
• Spa and beauty treatments
• Kenton-on-Sea is close to many Eastern Cape game lodges, but a day trip up the river to Sibuya is always hugely rewarding for families. Travel 10kms inland by boat from the mouth of the river, do a game drive, have lunch and come downstream again - highly recommended.
• Take a day trip to the characterful village of Bathhurst and enjoy a walk on the beach at Port Alfred on the way back - or head a little further up to Kleinemonde. All have beautiful beach walks.
• Or combine with a luxurious Big Five safari at Kwandwe or Shamwari. Please do let us know - there are a number of options in the area. Alternately, it's possible to do a day trip to Addo.
• Check in 14h00
• Check out at 10H00
• Maximum 8 adults and 4 children (sharing one bunk bedroom)
• No pets allowed
• Security deposit
• All bookings subject to final approval by owner